Guidelines for making up after a fight
If both partners have the ability to make up after a fight, their relationship has one of the essential skills for success. The following guidelines will help when you want to make up in an adult way, rather that leave it to the inner selves:.
1. Stay there - dont run out and dont go silent. Distancing is just a sign that one or both of you are not ready or dont want to make up yet.
2. Use the time out approach rather than distancing or withdrawing. Whoever asks for time out gets it but only for a short time (ten to twenty minutes) with a firm undertaking that both of you will get together at the end of that period.
3. Try to send at least one signal that your love is stronger than your pain. If this is not possible at that time, dont put too much effort into trying to make up just now. Its better to take time out while you work on the love signal you want to send.
4. Be realistic about the problem or facts you are fighting about. Could they be based on less than accurate perceptions? Remind yourself that, during a fight, the inner selves are not able to provide reliable data (nor are they good at recalling at all accurately what happened previously). Let that information go, there is no point trying to sort it out or expecting the selves to get it right for you.
5. Balance reality - Accept your share of the responsibility for what happened.
6. Make amends rather than defends. Dont score points or try to win by arguing from a rational position. Making up is about fixing what went wrong, not beating the other person.
7. Avoid saying sorry until after you have made up. If you each concentrate on identifying the pain and vulnerability you are feeling and nurturing yourself through it, you will then have the time and love after that to start nurturing the other person.
8. Identify the making up process clearly and verbally, by telling each other what you are feeling and what you want to happen between you that will feel like "making up". Dont allow things to develop in an unspoken way by giving a kiss or a hug without saying Im ready to make up or something like that.
Keep your eye on the "good" to "bad" ratio
If a couple expect to live together without any bad bits and an occasional fight, they are being less than realistic. However they do need to keep a realistic eye on the ratio of good parts to bad parts in whatever they do in the relationship. A strong relationship is said to be one in which both partners see the ratio of good parts to bad parts as better than four to one.
If one or both partners see the good-bad relationship ratio as anything less than three to one, this is an indicator of real trouble. If the ratio becomes negative (more negative than positive) there is little hope for the future without immediate action.
How to get yourself out of negative bonding -Stay in the Adult State When You Fight with your Partner
Negative bonding is one of the most common problems in all relationships including families, with people at work or in community groups. Chart one of your own fights between you and another person, to see how closely it fits the negative bonding pattern. As you work through to the inevitably painful end* (see point 3 below), keep in mind these critically important rules:
1. Analysing the rights and wrongs of the exchange will put you straight back into judgement and binary thinking and that will put you both straight back into the bonding pattern. Concentrate only on creating awareness of what happened.
2. Going into adult awareness (owning and feeling your own pain and vulnerability) and dealing with it yourself is the only known way to get out of a negative bonding pattern.
3. *No human being in the history of civilisation has ever found a way to stop a negative bonding pattern by using logic or reason.
4. Staying in the pattern and struggling to make it get better is like struggling in quicksand. Getting out of the pattern by going into awareness is the only way to halt it. Name it as you do so. I was in a negative bonding pattern.
Copyright © John Nutting 1996 - - 2004 and © GROWING AWARENESS All rights reserved World Wide LAST UPDATE Thursday, 07 February 2008 17:31
Don't worry about these copyright notices at the foot of each page. It just means I want to hang on to legal ownership of what I write for use in future books. Until that day, please feel free to copy and even adapt them for your own use and for friends as long as you acknowledge me as the author and owner of the copyright and you don't charge anyone for them. If you want to use them professionally or commercially (charge a fee for them) or for clients, each sheet you hand out must include full acknowledgment of copyright ownership as above and if you are benefiting as a result, I would appreciate an appropriate sharing.GROWING AWARENESS 2007 HOME PAGE